Sunday, July 12, 2009

Heart Shaped Stuffed Crossiants

I was watching Rachael Ray one morning and decided that her recipe was definitely worth trying. It looked easy enough and definitely something that didn't require using my wok! I added a few twists of my own and it worked wonders. Here it is:

Ingredients
  • 2 store-bought bakery croissants
  • 8 slices deli ham (I chose baked honey glazed ham, but any flavor would work! I'm planning on incorporating Spam in it too! It has to very thinly sliced though)
  • 4 slices Swiss cheese (Or any type of cheese really)
  • 2 large plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
  • 4 eggs
  • Salt and ground black pepper
  • Dash of rosemary
  • Dash of red pepper
Preparation:

  1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
  2. Slice the croissants in half lengthwise. Lay the sliced croissants in a jumbo muffin pan or in a ramekin or in my case, in a heart shaped dessert tray!
  3. Line 2 pieces of ham into the cavities of each half and top them all with a slice of cheese and a few slices of tomato. Crack an egg into each “pocket” and sprinkle them with a little salt and pepper, rosemary and red pepper (go easy on the red pepper!)
  4. Bake until the eggs have set, it took me around 30 minutes, but perhaps it was because of my dessert tray, but 15 - 20 minutes should do for a slightly runny yolk.
They were delicious =)

Update: Redid the recipe, except I used a muffin pan and used some different ingredients. Instead of ham, I used spam, and instead of a full egg, I filled the mini croissants with beaten egg with spring onions. They turned out more like a mini quiche than anything else, but took a lot less effort and time. These would be perfect hors de ordervs!

3 comments:

  1. They are so special....perfect for the breakfast in Valentine day's and any anniversary occasions.


    Angie's Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely bake! I'm sure the one eating it will loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great! I love croissants. The ones baked in the muffin tins look really pretty too!

    ReplyDelete